At TWA we:
- like to listen to, learn about and interpret our Institutional, non-profit and commercial clients needs
- add value to clients projects through design
- accommodate and satisfy the program and user needs
- respond sensitively to environmental conditions
The work of the firm has been widely published and has received numerous design awards. Terry is a Past President of the Architectural Institute of BC, a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, an Honorary Fellow of the American Institute of Architecture and former Chancellor of the College of Fellows of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He is a founding Board Member of the Canada Green Building Council. His interest in music and the performing arts has resulted in the design and construction of many performance venues.
These include; renovation and adaptive re-use of historic buildings as well as mixed-use single buildings and complexes. Research projects have included project feasibility studies, development programs, strategic plans and design concept studies. This applied research has been accomplished using a number of methods including Public Participation Workshops and Urban Design Charrettes. We base all our architecture, open space, parks, landscape, town plans and the production of design guidelines for cities on proven design principles.
In our work, we try to foster cooperation between our clients, the design team, approval agencies, users, the public and ourselves, to produce successful projects with a creative, collaborative and non-adversarial process.
As a way to enrich the meaning and relevance of each of our designs to our clients, the users and the public at large we consider the following:
- multi-disciplinary and holistic approach
- thorough problem definition and analysis
- critical design exploration
- collaborative working relationships
- inclusive and clear communication
- project-specific, high quality production
- creative concept development
While creatively applying & contributing to the art, science, and business of building we consider the following:
- close cooperation with clients & project team through scheduled meetings
- research precedents for type, scale & complexity
- challenge preconceptions & test limiting criteria
- evaluate options for all aspects collaboratively
- employ manual and electronic techniques
- carefully attend to the construction