Victoria, BC • 2001
Originally conceived as a show piece of BC’s emerging hydroelectric power industry in the 1950’s, this building required rehabilitation to bring it to contemporary standards. The main strategy for the facades involved the installation of high-performance glazing. A series of photovoltaic panels were installed on the south facade and connected to the building’s power distribution system. The building was also outfitted with new mechanical systems capable of zone control. These systems are sensitive to the fluctuation caused by solar radiation and heat gain form equipment and people.