Richard Blanshard Bldg
Victoria, BC • 2001
Originally the BC Electric Building, this modernist icon was designed by Sharp & Thompson, Berwick, Pratt Architects of Vancouver in 1957. Problems stemming from an outdated glazed building envelope and seismic deficiencies necessitated a comprehensive rehabilitation strategy. The main strategy for the facades involved the installation of a high-performance glazing system. The building's original aluminum sunshades, were removed and refurbished to match the original finish. A series of photovoltaic panels were installed on the south facade. Seismically, a series of steel braces, coupled to a hydraulic piston friction damper system were employed. The improved building envelope reduced the demand on the mechanical system, allowing it greater efficiency. Daylighting is maximized, and lighting systems are fitted with dimming and switching controls to conserve energy.